The dependants of a teacher who dies in service are entitled to Death Gratuity and Dependants Pension if the teacher was serving on Permanent and Pensionable terms and was confirmed in the service.
- Deceased teacher’s name is removed from payroll and overpayment recorded if any.
- The next-of-kin should submit original death certificate and a letter by area chief identifying the next-of-kin and dependants.
- The next of kin will settle over payment if any.
- The claim is forwarded to the Director of Pensions for payment. NB: In case of a dispute, the parties involved are referred to the Deputy County Commissioner for arbitration.
- The dependants may also seek legal redress from a court of law.
- Pension is paid to the deceased dependants who are aged below 18 years for a period of 5 years.
- This is pension paid to dependants when a teacher is killed on duty.
- The benefit is payable to the spouse and/or dependants of a teacher who dies as a result of injuries in the actual discharge of duty and without his/her own intention.
NB: The retirees/next of kin are informed when the claims are forwarded to the treasury for payment.